- About Us
Reply to comment
Primary schoolchildren across Britain could get back to the Bible – thanks to a scheme that links literacy hours with Scripture.
The Bible Society-sponsored scheme Bible in Literacy was the brainchild of schools worker Shirley Gowland. ‘My passion was to really see young children being able to understand the Scriptures at their own level – rather than in an adult way,’ she said. ‘Sadly, many children would never encounter the Bible without this scheme – but Bible in Literacy introduces them to the Scriptures in an appropriate way.’
The interactive resource, which simultaneously teaches children basic literacy skills and Bible stories, was presented recently to schools in the London Borough of Newham. Churches sponsored nearly 50 packs for their local schools as part of a pilot scheme.
‘It was a great success. Teachers say it’s very informative and useful,’ said Shirley. Now it’s being made available to primary schools across the country. But Shirley hopes churches will start buying Bible in Literacy packs for their local schools as a Christmas present.
‘This would forge good links between schools and churches,’ she said, ‘And it would be a great blessing to schools as they would not have to spend all their budget for literacy or RE on one thing.
‘My biggest hope is that all 23,000 primary schools in England and Wales will be equipped with this pack. With the help of local churches, I believe this can happen.’
Bible in Literacy links RE, Literacy, Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Primary with cross-curricular lessons to enhance the learning process.
- It engages pupils in an interactive journey through the Bible. Suitable for all teaching styles and levels of
- The pack includes game boards, text cards and a CD-ROM – all of which can be used independently.
- The material is appropriate for use across the primary age range and easily adaptable for all ability levels – including Key Stage 3.
- It provides a flexible approach helping schools to develop and enrich their curriculum – with dozens of teaching ideas.
- Your can choose your teaching and learning focus – literacy, RE or ICT.
- Teachers say: ‘Complete starter pack for us to move on with’, ‘Makes RE visual and practical’, ‘Useful for weak or tired
- teachers, inspirational for those with higher level skills’.